Overall Job Summary
The CSSD Technician reports to the CSSD Senior Technician/Assistant Manager/Manager. He/she works under the guidance of a CSSD Senior Technician/Assistant Manager/Manager within the frame work of his/her duties and responsibilities, and be responsible for the smooth operation of the department.
As per contract
- Professionally Responsible To
- Reports To
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Maintain and adhere to a high level of aseptic techniques practices, disinfection, sterilisation standards and processes.
- Responsible for cleaning, assembling, packaging and sterilizing all instruments and equipment from all areas of the health care facility as well as the operation and care of the same equipment and instruments.
- To ensure efficient provision of decontaminated and sterile supplies for the hospital.
- Lifting, standing, pushing, pulling, walking and viewing a computer screen up to 95% of shift.
- Implementing policies and procedures designed in accordance with Accreditation Standards.
- Effectively communicates, both written and verbally, with co-workers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure appropriate housekeeping (routine and specialized housekeeping activities) is carried out including additional maintenance cleaning as appropriate.
- Must have sterility conscious at all time.
- Management of Equipment
- To follow the Standard Operation Procedure (SOP)/Manufacturer guidelines in the care and maintenance of Steam Sterilizer, Washer Disinfector and other equipment.
- Perform daily cleaning and validations of Sterilizer.
- Assist and/or perform weekly/monthly/yearly maintenance on all equipment in CSSD.
- Perform duty as assign in the decontamination area such as collecting and receiving contaminated/used/expired reusable devices from the respective department.
- Cleans and decontaminates surgical instruments and other medical equipment following established policy and procedure and instruction for use (IFU).
- Check, document, disassembling, clean reusable devices by manual or mechanical technique.
- Manage the reusable devices for infectious cases according to SOP.
- Perform daily cleaning and validations of washer-disinfector and ultrasonic cleaner
- Ensure that policies and procedures are implemented and documented in regards to Decontamination procedures and validation results.
- Packing, Sterilization and Storage
- Perform duties such as drying, sorting, checking, assembling and packing instrument/item received from Decontamination Room.
- Inspects, assembles, packages and sterilizes medical devices following manufacturer’s recommendations/IFU and established procedure.
- Select the appropriate sterilization cycle for each item/load, load item into the sterilizer according to the standard of practice/IFU
- Ensure that policies and procedures are implemented and documented in regards to Sterilization procedures and validation results.
- Operates cleaning and sterilization equipment in the department according to manufacturer’s recommendations and established procedure.
- Maintains inventory of supplies and equipment and fills surgical case cart requisitions using the hospital computer system.
- Store sterile items in the sterile store and distribute back to the respective department.
- Check, sterilized, supply and maintain an adequate stock level of consumables.
- Management of the Department
- Preparing the department for Hospital accreditation ensuring all relevant standards and guidelines are implemented and maintain.
- Ensure adequate manpower, equipment, instrument and consumables are available for the effective and efficient management of the department.
- Attend to all incoming stock, checked and stored in the appropriate places and perform documentation.
- Ensure that all specified devices/equipment are serviced and in good working order.
- Assist in day to day management of the team, training and performance reviews in the absence of the Senior Technician/Assistant Manager/Manager
- Assist in checking and supervise new staffs to ensure the standard of practices are maintained.
- Assist in providing orientation for new personnel in the unit.
- Assist in organizing the medical environment, performs support activities in patient care situations, including contingency operations and disasters.
- To be familiar with the policy and procedure manuals of the Hospital.
- Other duties may be assigned as necessary to facilitate the functions of the department and hospital.
- Serve on Hospital committees as assigned.
Planning, Training and Reviewing Standard
- Participate in reviewing, training and audit hand-washing technique.
- Participate in reviewing, training and audit infection control standards and practises.
- Participate with the update of The Hospitals Infection Control manual.
- Participate in planning, implementing, and evaluating management activities related to the department.
- Participate in in-service training for CSSD personnel in Occupational Health and Safety training programs as specified.
- Participate in in-service training; routine and new procedures, techniques, and equipment.
- Participate in in-service training in contingency or disaster field training and exercises.
- Participate in the implementation of continuous quality improvement plans and programs.
Professional / Personal Responsibilities
- Communicate using appropriate terminology for the guest, their families and other healthcare professionals.
- Maintain confidentiality and objectivity in accordance with the ethics of the profession.
- Promote and practice effective communication and collaboration with the multidisciplinary team.
- Practice with his/her area of competence and assume accountability for his/her professional responsibilities.
- To be able to work autonomously and without direction.
- To be able to attend to detail.
- A willingness to participate in on-going education activities both at levels; Hospital and externally.
- Promote a continuous improvement philosophy among the OT, CSSD, and all the Hospital Healthcare providers.
- Able to independently make decisions and act when appropriate.
- Should be qualified by education or experience appropriate to the proper discharge of responsibilities or
- Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician or
- CRCST/CBSPD; Current certification is preferred.
- College level courses and related experience may substitute for an Associate Degree.
- Associates Degree in related Healthcare field preferred.
- HAAD or DHA licensed
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a sterilisation environment is desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in an Operating Theatre environment is desirable.
- Working knowledge of computers.
- Able to pass a written and verbal proficiency review.
- Organized and self-motivated with an attention to detail.
- Ability to cope with prolonged standing and walking.
- Ability to lift and move instrument sets and equipment of various weights.
This job description is not definitive and following periodic review may be subject to change; any such changes will be fully discussed with the post-holder. The post holder will be expected to be flexible to respond to change and organisational need. The post holder will also be expected to contribute to the wider corporate and organisational development needs of the organisation.
The post holder will be expected to ensure compliance with the requirements of the health & safety regulations of the center.
Confidentiality & Data Management Responsibilities
Every employee is required to maintain the confidentially of guests, their families and members of staff in accordance with the center’s policies. Employees of the center are legally responsible for all records gathered, created or used in the line of work. Confidentiality, security and integrity of data are required in accordance with the center’s policies.