Overall Job Summary
To provide the highest standards of patient care, the training of health professionals and the creation and contribution of health knowledge. To work with the Pharmacy Team to provide a comprehensive Clinical Pharmacy Service to patients
To ensure the safe and effective use of medications by providing medication order verification while assessing for optimal drug product selection, dosage regimen design, effective administration and drug therapy monitoring services at Healthpoint. Monitors inpatient and outpatient drug therapies when appropriate, and works with relating medical staff to find alternatives when needed, to ensure the best care possible is being given.
As per contract
- Professionally Responsible To
Head of Department
- Reports To
Head of Department
1. Provides clinical pharmaceutical care to patients.
- Prioritize level of care based on critical needs.
- Participate in interdisciplinary patient care rounds and communicate follow-up with clinical team.
- Prevent, detect, and resolve medication-related problems and to make appropriate evidence-based, patient-cantered medication therapy recommendations as part of the interdisciplinary team.
- Determine and resolve any medication therapy problems including drugs without indications, medical conditions for which no therapy is prescribed, therapy inappropriate for medical condition, incomplete immunization record, inappropriate dose, dosage form, duration, schedule, route of administration, method of administration, therapeutic duplication, medication allergies, and clinically significant drug, drug-disease, drug-nutrient, or drug-laboratory test interactions.
- Effectively verify patient medication orders for the appropriateness and accuracy.
- Appropriately document clinical interventions.
- Provide, concise, applicable, comprehensive, and timely responses to requests for drug information from patients and health care providers.
- Provide and document discharge medication teaching upon request.
2. Enhances the quality of delivery of care.
- Support the Mission, Visions and Values of the department of pharmacy.
- Actively participates in the development and implementation of performance/quality improvement and patient safety activities for clinical services area, Pharmacy and Medical centre.
- Identify potential technical or patient care issues and work with Clinical Coordinators to make recommendations to avoid issues.
- Communicates effectively with patient care areas and pharmacy staff/managers.
- Report medication errors and adverse drug reactions.
- Participate with Clinical Coordinator, clinical team and the Pharmacy department to evaluate and measure the impact of new approaches that have been implemented.
- Participates I clinical guideline development, critical pathways, disease management, and drug use programs as identified and under the mentorship of the clinical coordinator.
- Represent Pharmacy/services on institutional/practice area committees and quality support teams.
- Participate with Clinical Coordinator to identify high-cost and high-use agents within defined area of practice and participates in financial management initiatives (revenue generating, cost containment, etc.)
3. Demonstrates proficiency in Pharmacy distributives services.
- Provides leadership and oversight for Pharmacy Technician systems.
- Maintains knowledge of changes in medication delivery systems to provide accurate and timely service to customers.
- Demonstrate understanding of the process to access medications through the various technological systems.
- Participate in opportunities to improve the quality, effectiveness, and/or efficiency in distributing medications to our customers and patients.
- Demonstrate quality and safety in the distribution process.
- Actively collaborates and demonstrates teamwork with Pharmacy teams to ensure drug distribution is communicated and delivered safely and effectively.
4. Supports the educational and professional development of the Pharmacy department.
- Participates in mentorship and professional development of Clinical and staff Pharmacists, Technicians, Pharmacy residents and Pharmacy students.
- Participate collegially in the development of new programs, services, and practices, educational activities of the Pharmacy department and medical team.
- Consistently attend Pharmacy student/residency seminars and presentations.
- Provides at least one (1) Pharmacy staff development initiative per year.
5. Engages in professional self-development.
- Complete competency requirements in a timely manner.
- Complete goal-setting with Clinical Coordinator at the beginning of the performance appraisal period.
- Enhance professional and technical knowledge/competency by attending class work/other trainings, seminars, and/or journal clubs.
- Establishes regular meetings with Clinical Coordinator.
- Provide in-services/lectures to health care professionals outside the pharmacy.
- Demonstrate active membership and/or service (Committee/council/task force member or elected/appointed officer) in local, state or national pharmacy organizations.
1. Communicates appropriately using good interpersonal skills.
- Positive, professional demeanour is projected through verbal and non-verbal communications.
- Information for patients and staffs is delivered in a manner that is supportive, timely and understandable.
- Interpersonal conflicts are resolved using appropriate methods and organizational resources, including but not limited to Employee Relations Services and Faculty Employee Assistance Program.
- Diverse perspectives are acknowledged, language and behaviours are modelled that build inclusiveness in the work environment.
- Ideas and suggestions are clearly communicated.
- Clarification of communication is requested when appropriate.
2. Serves, manages and supports internal and external customers.
- Privacy is maintained at all times for patient and employee information.
- Actions are indicated to meet or exceed customer/co-workers expectations in delivering service by implementing the I Make the Difference philosophy (Ownership begins with me; Greet customers by making eye contact and smiling; Provide positive, professional and prompt responses, e.g.: helping visitors find their way; Close every interaction with-Is there anything else I can do for you?).
- Appropriate resources throughout the Organization are used consistently to meet customer needs.
- Relationships with staff in other work areas are fostered to meet internal and external customer needs.
- Positive working relationships with peers, management and customers are maintained at all times.
3. Participates in performance improvement activities.
- Participation in Performance improvement activities and initiatives is on-going.
- Initiative is demonstrated to proactively diagnose and resolve problems.
- Change is met with positive, supportive behaviour.
4. Participates as a team member and is accountable for own work responsibilities.
- Time off is scheduled to avoid disrupting workflow.
- Help is offered to others to solve problems and complete tasks to facilitate communication and positive team dynamics.
- Productive work habits are consistently displayed.
- Accountable for actions and decisions is demonstrated in daily work.
- Feedback is solicited and accepted in a positive manner.
- Constructive input is offered to support the work unit.
- At least four years’ experience as a clinical pharmacist in a hospital setting.
- Proven experience as clinical pharmacist
- Excellent understanding of pharmaceutical therapy and direct patient care.
- Must be registerable with Health Authority of Abu Dhabi. HAAD License
Preferably with MSc or Phd.
Preferably worked in a JCI accredited hospital/medical center.