Overall Job Summary
Responsible for overall Healthpoint pharmacy operations Plans, directs, and monitors all financial, operational, professional, and clinical activities of the department.
As per contract
- Professionally Responsible To
- Reports To
- Managing and directing daily operations of Pharmacy Department on a macro level through subordinate supervisory personnel to maintain the activities and functions of all pharmacy divisions. Liaise with internal and external stakeholders relating to orders, services and quality requirements.
- Establish an appropriate structure for the department to be capable of delivering the high standard wide range of pharmacy services. Ensure an appropriate Quality Management System is in place in the Pharmacy.
- Inspire innovative and transformational approach in pharmacy practice & pharmacy informatics with the ability to critically examine the range and quality of services in relation to the needs of patients and emerging trends in professional practice and contribute ideas for developing or enhancing the services or service environment. Improve the operational systems, and services in support of organizations mission, specifically support better management reporting, information flow and management, business process and organizational planning.
- Implement Policies and Procedures that ensure the pharmacy department provides optimal pharmaceutical services that meet all legal, accreditation, and certification requirements.
- Maintain contact with other department heads, medical staff, and nursing staff to determine needs, resolve problems, improve processes, and promote effective drug therapy.
- Provides hospital staff with timely information relative to new drugs, policies and standards of care that relate to medication use/safety.
- Keeps current with the Emirate’s regulations regarding the practice of Pharmacy and implements changes as necessary to maintain compliance.
- Actively participates in committees, meetings and functions as required by the hospital administration.
- Provides a leadership role in the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee; prepares Agenda and coordinates timely attendance of members. Ensures that the P and T Committee meet in accordance with facility policy.
- Managing, supervising, monitoring and ensuring all pharmacy procurement and supply chain activities are following the best practice recommended by WHO standards. Participate in the annual CAPEX and general budgeting exercise for Pharmacy operations.
Work with Human Resources in grooming Emirati talent pool within Pharmacy function and develop identified HP into future leaders in the Centre.
- Pro-actively participate in collaboration with the Executive Team to meet the strategic and operational business goals.
- Manage the department budgets and meet the department KPIs.
- Drive departmental strategies and KPIs by instilling and building a shared commitment towards contributing to the Hospital’s mission and vision
- Develop department policies and procedures in alignment towards the regulatory and accreditation requirements.
- Complete the entire performance evaluation cycles for direct reports
- Drive an appropriate level of continuous personal and professional development across the department through interdisciplinary training and capacity building
- Promote effective communication strategies and maintain good interdepartmental liaison.
- Accountable for Departmental Quality Improvement activities
- Ensure providing services that comply with all applicable standards and requirements of Joint Commission International (JCI), Legislation, Policies, Quality Standards, DOH, and all other applicable regulatory bodies.
- Ensure social accountability in providing the highest caliber of services in alignment to meet the Hospital’s aim to service a wide range of patient demographic.
- Keep up-to-date with the latest modern developments.
- Work with Human Resources in manpower budget, recruitment and resource optimization.
- Provide supervision, guidance and on the job training and staff development for any direct reports.
- Ensures that all pharmacy staff is currently licensed/certified/registered and have adequate Continuing Education credits.
- Attend and participate in regular departmental activities, meetings and/or reports.
- Maintain an appropriate level of continuous professional development.
- At least Master or PhD in Pharmacy
- At least 10 years of Hospital experience.
- At least 3 years of management experience as a Head of Department or Pharmacy Manager .
- Preferably worked in a JCI accredited hospital/medical centre.
Job Specific Skills and Abilities
- Ability to direct the entire Pharmacy team towards providing excellent pharmaceutical services.
- Communicate using appropriate terminology for the guest, their families and other healthcare professionals.
- Maintain confidentiality and objectivity in accordance with the ethics of the profession.
- Promote and practice effective communication and collaboration with the multidisciplinary team.
- Practice with his/her area of competence and assume accountability for his/her professional responsibilities.
- Demonstrate communication, cooperation with team and guest harmoniously.
Communicates with purpose - Conveys ideas and information to groups for mutual understanding, commitment and action.
Accountability - Accepts responsibility for one's actions regardless of outcomes.
Relationships - Creates and maintains partnerships based on mutual trust, respect, shared responsibility and purpose.
Improve - Recommends and Implements changes to better the enterprise and position IHN as the recognized leader in all healthcare specialties.
Nurture & Develop - Seeks & supports development opportunities for self & others, in order to fulfill current or future responsibilities more effectively.
Go Beyond Patient Expectations - Leverages skills, caregivers, financial & business information to exceed patient expectations.