Overall Job Summary
This position is responsible for the delivery of high quality, patient centred care and to be professionally accountable for all aspects of the delivery of that nursing care.
To undertake the duties of a registered nurse as defined in the “Scope of Practice for the Registered Nurse” by Dubai Health Regulatory Agency (DHA) and (DOH).
As per contract
- Professionally Responsible To
Head of Department
- Reports To
Head of Department
- Independently prioritize and manage his/her own clinical caseload.
- Participate in necessary clinical audits with regards to patient care and nursing practice.
- Perform all nursing duties in accordance with the scope of work outlined by DOH while adhering to all facility policies and procedures.
- Ensures that proper techniques and practices are used according to accepted standards of practice.
- Supervises other personnel in the room and directs or assists as necessary.
- Immediately reports any unusual occurrences to charge personnel, documents appropriately in the patient record, and completes Occurrence Reports form if indicated.
- Performs scrub and circulator duties as necessary and to keep current.
- Maintains count on sponges, needles and instruments to ensure no loss of items according to present policy.
- Performs all circulating duties with efficiency and speed.
- Supervises and assists scrub nurse as necessary.
- Assists anesthesia if requested to position patient, prepares operative area, and adjusts table to proper position according to standard policies.
- Has all supplies and equipment in room and provides to team as necessary according to surgeon preference resource. Reviews surgeon’s preference cards for desired medications and verifies same with surgeon.
- Opens all sterile packs and supplies according to aseptic technique.
- Assists surgeons, anesthesiologists, and other personnel as needed to ensure good patient care.
- Observes patient for changes in condition.
- Ensures all medications are administered and charted according to established policies and procedures.
- Identifies and records patient’s response to medication when necessary.
- Cares for specimens and cultures as directed by set policies and procedures.
- Accompanies patient to Post-Op area and reports with anesthesia to nurse on patient, procedure, and special happenings to ensure continuity of care.
- Respond to signs of critical illness, imminent collapse, or actual collapse according to the BLS (Basic life support) or ALS (Advanced life support) as required.
- Continually maintain up-to-date knowledge of resuscitation procedures.
- Ensure appropriately stocked the resuscitation trolleys and ensure refill of trolley after use.
- Use a computerized system to support the provision of patient care and/or treatment.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment within the assessment area in accordance to the infection control policies and procedures.
- Responsible for checking expiry dates on hardware implants, pharmacy/medications, allograft implants, as well as sterilization dates of autoclaved instruments.
- Provide supervision, guidance and on the job training and staff development for any direct reports.
- Maintain an appropriate level of continuous professional development.
- Keep up-to-date with the latest developments in nursing care and the wider healthcare arena.
- Organize and participate in regular departmental activities, meetings and/or reports.
- Promote effective communication strategies and maintain good interdepartmental liaison.
- Works actively with staff to ensure service delivery is of a high standard.
- Acquire a thorough understanding and specialized knowledge of Orthopedics & Sports Medicine management and care.
- Communicate using appropriate terminology for the patients, their families and other healthcare professionals.
- Maintain confidentiality and objectivity in accordance with the ethics of the profession.
- Responsible for the Centre's OT Nursing Services.
- Liaise with all other departments as needed.
Diploma, Associate or Bachelors Degree in Nursing.
Minimum 2 years experience in a similar role.
Certification and Licensure
- BCLS Certified
- DOH License
Job Specific Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and a team player.
- Spoken & Written English Skills are essential.
- Must be IT literate.
- Conversant in Arabic is an advantage.