Dr. Murrell is passionate about innovations, healthcare, and ensuring that all have access to great care. He Completed Program in Business Innovations in Global Healthcare, Harvard Business School – Executive Education 2013.
An Internationally recognized clinician, educator, and researcher, who performs investigations, publishes, and lectures frequently on the topics related to shoulder and knee surgery, as well as orthobiologics and regenerative medicine. President and Founder of the American Academy Board of Regenerative Medicine – Middle East North Africa. He was one of the first practitioners to use stem cells to treat bone and joint conditions, as well as to set up registry for following effectiveness of treatment and safety in the region.
Dr. Murrell proudly serves as a Colonel in the United States Army Reserve, stationed in Kaiserslautern, Germany in the 7th Medical Support Unit-Europe where the organization supports US Army medical units and hospitals in readiness and quality improvement.
Currently, Dr. Murrell resides in Abu Dhabi, with his wife and one son. When he’s not working at Healthpoint, Abu Dhabi, Dr. Murrell enjoys healthy eating, personal fitness, and playing squash.
Dr. Murrell can help you with:
Shoulder Rotator Cuff Tear
Rotator Cuff Tendinitis
Knee Cartilage Injury
Knee Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear and Revision
Knee Meniscus Tear
Platelet Rich Plasma Injection
Hyaluronic Acid Injection
Stem Cell Injection
Orthopedic Sports and Regenerative Medicine
Awards & Accreditations
- Editor-in-Chief, Biologic Orthopedic Journal - 2019
- Associate Editor, Sports Medicine, Journal of Clinical Orthopedics and Trauma (JCOT) - 2019
- Handling Editor, Special Issue, Regenerative Medicine Knee Osteoarthritis, JCOT - 2018
- Created the 1st Orthopaedics Regenerative Medicine Registry in the Middle East – 2018.
- Co-Founder, Secretary, Biologic Orthopedic Journal Association - 2018
- Best of 2018 – Dubai: Orthopaedic Sports Medicine - 2018
- Chief Tournament Physician – Dubai Duty Free ATP-WTA Tennis Championship – 2012, 2013, 2018
- Associate Editor, Journal Orthopaedic Surgery and Research - 2018
- Board of Directors, American Academy and Board of Regenerative Medicine- 2017
- Section Editor, Sports Medicine, Journal of Clinical Orthopedics and Trauma (JCOT) - 2015
- OREF/OO Traveling Fellowship - 2001
- Jenio ZJ, Scholes C, Marenah, M, Li, J, Cowley M, Ebrahimi M, Harrision-Brown M, Murrell, WD. Quality in practice: implementation of a clinical outcomes registry in regenerative medicine: Ann Transl Med, 2019, APR.
- Harrison-Brown M, Scholes C, Hafsi K, Marenah M, Li J, Hassan F, Maffulli N, Murrell, WD. Efficacy and safety of culture-expanded, mesenchymal stem/stromal cells for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review protocol. J Orthop Surg and Res, 2019, Jan.
- Lana JFSD, Castro RB, Rodrigues BL, Oliveira CC, Huber SC, Lizier NF, Murrell WD, Nicholls M. Orthobiologic treatment for knee osteoarthritis: A cost effective choice. Biomed J Scien Tech Res, 2018, DEC.
- Ulasli A, Ozcakar L, Murrell, WD. Ultrasound imaging and guidance in the management of osteoarthritis in regenerative medicine field. J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2018, DEC. epub.
- Jain NB, Scheider BJ, Murrell WD, Hettrich C, Archer KR. What’s New in Orthopaedic Rehabilitation. JBJS-Am, 2018, NOV.
- McKay J, Frantzen K, Vercruyssen N, Opitz T, Davis A, Murrell, WD. Rehabilitation Considerations After Regenerative Medicine Treatment Knee Osteoarthritis. J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2018, OCT. epub.
- Hafsi K, McKay J, Li, J, Lana JF, Macedo, A, Santos GS, Murrell, WD. Nutritional, Metabolic, and Genetic Considerations to Optimise Regenerative Medicine Outcome for Knee Osteoarthritis. . J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2018, OCT. epub.
- Macedo, A, Santos, GS, Ingrao, ILG, Vieira IFV, Castro RB, Huber SC, Filho SC, Murrell, WD, Lana, JFSD. Correlation Between Sex Hormone Deficiency and Osteoarthritis. Journal of Bone Biology and Osteoporosis. 2018, SEP.
- Marenah, M, Li, J, Kumar, A, Murrell, WD. Quality Assurance and Adverse Event Management in Regenerative Medicine for Knee Osteoarthritis: Current Concepts. J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2018, SEP.
- Hassan, F., Murrell, WD , Refalo, A., and Maffulli, N., Alternatives to Biologics in Management of Knee Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review. Sports Medicine Arthroscopy Review. 2018 , JUN.
- Jain NB, Scheider BJ, Kuhn JE, Murrell WD, Stark S, Archer KR. What’s New in Orthopaedic Rehabilitation. JBJS-Am, 2017, NOV.
- Murrell WD. Yet another key learning point in the quest universal cartilage repair and restoration. Annals of Translational Medicine. 2017, FEB.
- Hassan, F., Trebinjac, S., Murrell, WD and Maffulli, N., The effectiveness of prolotherapy in treating knee osteoarthritis in adults: a systematic review. British Medical Bulletin, 2017, JAN.
- Jain NB, Kuhn JE, Murrell WD, Archer KR. What’s New in Orthopaedic Rehabilitation. JBJS-Am, 2016, NOV.
- Betancourt JP, Murrell WD. Leukocyte-poor platelet-rich plasma to treat degenerative meniscal tear: A case report J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2016, JUN.
- Anz AW, Bapat A, Murrell WD. Concepts in regenerative medicine: Past, present, and future in articular cartilage treatment. J Clin Orthop Trauma, 2016, JUN.
- Abdul-Wahab TA, Betancourt, JP, Hassan F, Al Thani, S, Choueiri, H, Jain, NB, Malanga, GA, Murrell WD, Prasad A, Verborgt, O. Initial treatment of complete rotator cuff tear, and transition to surgical treatment: a systematic review of the evidence. Muscle Ligaments Tendons J. 2016 May 6:35-47.
- Centeno CJ, Al-Sayegh H, Freeman MD, Smith J, Murrell WD, Bubnov R. A multi-center analysis of adverse events among two thousand, three hundred and seventy two adult patients undergoing adult autologous stem cell therapy for orthopaedic conditions. Orthop. 2016 Mar 30:1-1.
- Murrell, WD, Evidence of Homologous Use in Cellular Based Therapy in Medical Practice. United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA), National Institutes of Health (NIH), Bethesda, Maryland, USA, NOV 2016
- Murrell, WD, Anz, AW, Badsha, H, Bennett, WF, Boykin, RE, Caplan, AI: Regenerative Treatments to Enhance Orthopaedic Surgical Outcomes. PM R. 2015 Apr;7(4 Suppl):S41-52.
- Murrell, WD, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons: Appropriate Use Criteria on Optimizing the Management of Full-Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears. 2013 SEP
- Murrell, WD. Treatment of Knee Degenerative Conditions: Combining Classic Skills with Ultra Modern Technology and Treatment: MEDICINA E CHIRURGIA ORTOPEDICA, Jan-Feb 2013
- Huntington CF, Murrell WD, Betz RR, Cole BL, Clements DH, Balsara RK: Comparison of thoracoscopic and open thoracic discectomies in ovine model for anterior spine fusion. 1998 Aug 1;23(15):1699-702.